Talk:Jazz Jackrabbit Font Format
Does anyone have any information on the order in which the symbols in the 0FN-type fonts are supposed to be interpreted? They don't match any normal text encoding. Are there mappings for this somewhere in the game?
My preliminary analysis of all fonts shows that it seems to be:
- 00-25: Upper case characters A-Z
- 26-51: Lower case characters a-z (though FONTMN2.0FN just has larger caps here)
- 52-61: Numbers 0-9
- 62-65: Dollar sign, pound sign, open bracket, close bracket.
- 66-99: Unknown
- 100-107: Comma, period, question mark, minus, plus, equals, exclamation mark, slash.
- 108-109: Unknown
- 110-116: Open bracket, close bracket, colon, semicolon, single quote, another kind of quote (closing perhaps?), double quote.
There are lots of small variations though. Besides obvious cases where unused symbols are recycled (like the credit card replacing the plus sign in FONTBIG.0FN), the comma and period are very often swapped, as are the semicolon and colon (if they're not just the same symbol). The dollar and pound sign are sometimes also brackets. And in all fonts, if the brackets are present multiple times, they are all identical. And there's a lot more like that.
- Right. I brute-forced it; I changed FONTMN1.0FN to contain byte indicators on all indices from 0x00-0x80, and then hex edited all possible byte values into the name of "DIAMONDUS" inside PLANET.000 and made screenshots of that to build up a mapping of which bytes produced which font indices. -Nyerguds (talk) 08:33, 28 April 2022 (GMT)